Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r105295: * lisp/progmodes/etags.e

From: Sam Steingold
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r105295: * lisp/progmodes/etags.el (etags-file-of-tag, etags-tags-table-files)
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2011 11:33:23 -0400

> * Francesco Potortì <address@hidden> [2011-08-02 10:11:17 +0200]:
>
>>>   * lisp/progmodes/etags.el (etags-file-of-tag, etags-tags-table-files)
>>>   (etags-tags-included-tables): Call `convert-standard-filename' on
>>>   the file names contained in TAGS so that windows Emacs can handle
>>>   TAGS files created by cygwin ctags.
>>
>>Is that really right?
>>I mean, convert-standard-filename should only ever be called on absolute
>>file names, and we have no guarantee that file names in TAGS are
>>absolute, do we?
>
> No, we do not.  On the opposite, relative file names in tag files should
> never be converted to absolute, and absolute ones never converted to
> relative.  The users choose if they want relative or absolute file names
> in tags:
>
> 33.3.2 Creating Tags Tables
> ---------------------------

I use exuberant ctags which can create emacs-compatible TAGS files.
It can also process directories recursively and supports more languages
and language features than the emacs-supplied etags program.

It comes with cygwin on windows and writes files like this:

/cygdrive/d/algo-e/code/admin/butler/bin/activity.pl,52
activity.pl1,0
sub my_print($) {my_print96,2369

I want to use these files with the native windows emacs.
With my patch I, indeed, can.

--
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on CentOS release 5.6 (Final) X
11.0.60900031