Errors in interactive commands

From: Antoine Levitt
Subject: Errors in interactive commands
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2011 19:46:38 +0200

What's the policy concerning errors in interactive commands when they
are called from an invalid context? Right now emacs is a bit
inconsistent: C-f at the end of a buffer displays a message, while C-M-f
inside an empty parenthesis pair raises an error. We should decide on a
standard and apply it to every such command (I'm willing to do it.)

I'm personally in favour of displaying a message, because it makes
editing with toggle-debug-on-error less painful. What do others think?