Re: bidi-display-reordering is now non-nil by default

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: bidi-display-reordering is now non-nil by default
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2011 22:44:16 +0300

> From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2011 19:35:12 +0200
>
> I may have misinterpreted you, but I thought you meant that Gnus should
> put LRM character(s) into the summary buffer (by default) to signal that
> the buffer really is quite left-to-right-ey.  I think that would be a
> less than optimal way of specifying something like that.

No, it's my fault: I didn't really explain the issue.  It's not with
the buffer being L2R.

Here's the part of a Gnus summary buffer cited by Mohsen:

---- Gnus Summary Sample Begin ----
:!   2 moons in the sky , August the 27th, يک آسمان و دو ماه|  37 |First LAST
        |Jul 13 '10
:!   Fw: بسیار جالب و خواندنی است ... فقط با دقت و حوصله بخو| 284 |First LAST
        |14:15
:!   Re: Next Saturday instead of this weekend              |  36 |First LAST
        |14:22
---- Gnus Summary Sample Ends  ----

Note that the line counts of the first two summary lines are
misplaced: they appear _to_the_left_ of the subject (which is the part
written in Farsi).  The problem here is that a number (a string of
digits) that follows R2L text gets displayed to the left of that text,
according to the UBA (the Unicode Bidirectional Algorithm), on the
assumption that it is part of the R2L text.  The `|' separator is a
weak character, so it doesn't change that order.

To fix the alignment, you need to append the LRM to each subject:

:!   2 moons in the sky , August the 27th, يک آسمان و دو ماه‎|  37 |First LAST
         |Jul 13 '10
:!   Fw: بسیار جالب و خواندنی است ... فقط با دقت و حوصله بخو‎| 284 |First LAST
         |14:15
:!   Re: Next Saturday instead of this weekend             ‎|  36 |First LAST
        |14:22

See how the line counts are nicely aligned now?  I inserted an LRM
just before the `|' separator to the left of the line count.  I did
that in the last line as well, but there it doesn't matter because the
subject uses only L2R text.

To summarize, Gnus should append the LRM to each and every subject it
puts in the summary buffer.

Did I explain the issue now?