Re: Errors in interactive commands

From: Andreas Röhler
Subject: Re: Errors in interactive commands
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2011 08:13:31 +0200

Am 02.08.2011 21:36, schrieb Lennart Borgman:
On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 21:25, Stefan Monnier<address@hidden>  wrote:
I'm personally in favour of displaying a message, because it makes
editing with toggle-debug-on-error less painful. What do others think?

debug-ignored-errors should make this concern irrelevant for the
decision of which behavior to choose.

The reason some commands raises an error is that they want to give
control back to the command loop. debug-ignore-errors can't fix that,
or?

Hi,

think it might pay to invest some more into such a consideration - the diff between an error and nil.

An error should be raised if something like a danger exists:
division through zero.

A move-forward at the end of the buffer isn't a wrong command as such, just will not be successful.

Therefor it should not be raised an error, just nil returned.

People may write (while (forward-my-function

until encountering nil then.

Cheers,

Andreas