Re: display-buffer-alist simplifications

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: display-buffer-alist simplifications
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2011 18:22:57 +0200

> So I rather like your earlier proposal
> to provide `display-buffer-fallback-alist' where users can study all
> settings that define the default behavior and easily override them by
> just coping some settings from `display-buffer-fallback-alist' to
> `display-buffer-alist' and changing their values.

Any such thing like `display-buffer-fallback-alist' has to cope with the
variables `special-display-buffer-names' and `special-display-regexps'
which may prescribe individual behavior based on the names of buffers.
There is no "global" default value for all buffers unless we are
prepared to sacrifice compatibility with Emacs 23.

martin