Re: bidi-display-reordering is now non-nil by default

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: bidi-display-reordering is now non-nil by default
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2011 20:45:16 +0200

Mohsen BANAN <address@hidden> writes:

> The low hanging fruit right now is:
>
>   1) Adding an LRM character after the subject
>      line in the Suummary buffer.
>
>   2) Adding an LRM character after the From name
>      in the Summary buffer.

As I said earlier, I think adding characters to the text to control pure
layout issues is a sub-optimal design decision.  It's like adding VT
control characters to the text to colourise it.  Why not control this
stuff with text properties, like we do with (almost) anything else
that's similar to this?

LRM characters seem like a neat hack for things like the HELLO file,
where you have a plain text file.  But for stuff like the summary
buffer, you're basically just concerned with lining stuff up properly.
Adding special characters here doesn't seem warranted to me.

And for those who forgot the two options we have with LRM:

1) make the LRM invisible and intangible, which means that if somebody
cuts and pastes a (seemingly) ASCII summary buffer, it'll be
(inexplicably) utf-8 with LRM characters interspersed after saving or
mailing it, or

2) have the LRM characters visible, which means that pushing <Right>
over a line will have an inexplicable "stop" several times over the
line.

Please correct me if this isn't what all y'all have in mind.