Re: php-mode

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: php-mode
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2011 15:34:27 -0400

>> More and more I am beginning to think Lennart may be right in saying
>> that it would be less work to rewrite php-mode.el from scratch.  If
>> the community at large agrees, then I will personally volunteer to
>> write and maintain the code.  Does anyone else think this is a better
>> route to pursue?
> Yes, if anyone is willing to step up to the plate and write an
> independent php-mode that we can include in Emacs, that is probably the
> best solution.

If possible, I'd rather integrate the existing code, to avoid the mess
of having umpteen alternatives.
So I'd recommend the following path:
- figure out who wrote which part of the code.
- from that, find out which part of the code is already covered by
  copyright assignments or is otherwise "trivial enough" to not need any.
- try to get assignments from the remaining people.
- if some of those can't be found or refuse to sign such paperwork,
  remove the corresponding code.  When easy or important, rewrite the code.

        Stefan