Re: Changing the default for `send-mail-function'

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Changing the default for `send-mail-function'
Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2011 17:56:02 +0200

Ken Brown <address@hidden> writes:

> Sorry, I wasn't clear.  I meant to refer only to the case where
> sendmail-query-once-function is set to `query'.  The existing code
> does not always query in that situation, even though the documentation
> says it does.

If Emacs can't find sendmail at all, it won't offer that as an option,
no.

> I'm glad you agree.  Lars seemed to have something else in mind.  (See
> the quote from him at the top of this mail.)  He proposed only
> offering emacsclient as an option on systems that don't have sendmail.

"mailclient" I guess.  :-)

If we are to offer mailclient as an option also on non-Windows systems,
I have no objection to changing the question to something like

Do you want to use the built-in SMTP, the system mailer or a different
user mailer?  (b, s, d)

or something.