Re: bidi-display-reordering is now non-nil by default

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: bidi-display-reordering is now non-nil by default
Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2011 18:16:23 +0200

> Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Still, it seems better not to change Gnus to proactively insert LRM
>> characters, but leave it to those users who care to customize it as
>> necessary.  In the default value of gnus-summary-line-format,
>>
>>   "%U%R%z%I%(%[%4L: %-23,23f%]%) %s\n"
>>
>> the subject (%s) is followed by a newline.  If a user wants to change
>> this to include, say, the article number, that could be done via
>>
>>   "%U%R%z%I%(%[%4L: %-23,23f%]%) %s\u200E%N\n"
>
> After reading through (ok, skimming :-) this thread, I'm also leaning
> towards this as the solution (or "solution") for Emacs 24.1 at least.
>
> However, there are complications.  :-)

> In other words, the segmentation characters probably has to be
> inserted in the format spec explicitly by users that customise this
> thing.  Which just seems like a bad interface.

Well, then how about letting format do the job?  It could make sure that
%s does not spill its direction into the surroundings, by enclosing it
with appropriate marks if required.

Basically format first analyses the reading direction of each character
of the format string, and when a format specification would change this
direction after filling it, it gets surrounded by appropriate
directional marks that keep it from spilling.

If this seems too automagic, one could use format specs like %| to
indicate points where format could insert directional specifiers that
keep directionality from moving across.

--
David Kastrup