Re: convert-standard-filename

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: convert-standard-filename
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2011 00:19:34 -0400

> From: Lennart Borgman <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 05:23:19 +0200
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 04:54, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> >> From: Lennart Borgman <address@hidden>
> >> Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 00:05:05 +0200
> >> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>, address@hidden, address@hidden

> >> I would rather have it return a file name that fits the OS, regardless
> >> of the file name that it is given.
> >
> > That would be in contradiction with the function's purpose, see above.
>
> Could it make any harm if it worked the way I suggested?

Yes, it contradicts the purpose of the function, and thus makes its
result unpredictable, except by looking at the source.

> Are there any cases were the result would be ambigious?

The case of "c:foobar", as pointed out by Stefan earlier in this
thread.  If it's taken as a local absolute file name, then on Windows
there's no need to do anything about it.  If it is taken as a Posix
relative file name, the colon should be replaced with some other
character.