Re: display-buffer-alist simplifications

From: Andreas Röhler
Subject: Re: display-buffer-alist simplifications
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2011 11:49:54 +0200

Am 08.08.2011 11:10, schrieb martin rudalics:
 > I'd make a "display method" be a function, i.e. one of
 > `display-buffer-reuse-window', `display-buffer-pop-up-window', ...
 > At which point you can get rid of the idea of a "macro specifier" since
 > function definitions work just as well.

At which point you can give up the idea of merging. I meanwhile know
that no one here likes the idea of merging specifiers and don't have the
slightest intention to fight for it any more. But no one so far has
cared to explain how to support all the things people have piled up over
the years like split-height-threshold, even-window-heights, or
display-buffer-mark-dedicated. I'd be all in favor of functions if you
told me how to write a function that within a year has not been
rewritten completely because it's oh so important to add a little thingy
here and there.

Hi Martin,

can't take part in this discussion now for several reasons.

However let me say your remarks meet my experience with a lot of Emacs stuff. Consider all effort of cleaning that up as crucial, as difficulties must rise otherwise.

Thanks all,

Andreas