RE: display-buffer-alist simplifications

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: display-buffer-alist simplifications
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 06:42:05 -0700

>  >>> I'm not sure why you're so concerned about this
>  >>> reuse-window behavior of special-display-popup-frame.
>  >>
>  >> Because I had some very hard time here discussing this
>  >> with a user who can't live with such behavior.
>  >
>  > And yet he wants to use dedicated frames?  Can you give some more
>  > details, because that sounds pretty odd.
>
> That person can't use `special-display-popup-frame' because it doesn't
> work correctly on his system.  Drew uses `special-display-popup-frame'
> without dedicating frames IIRC.  The only person insisting on the
> dedicated feature is you.  And you still didn't give me an answer why
> you need it.

I'm not following this too well; sorry.

Not sure what you mean by Drew not dedicating frames, in the context of
`special-display-popup-frame'.  I thought special-display buffers were always,
by default, displayed in dedicated windows.  AFAIK, I don't change that default
behavior.  And I do want all of my special-display windows/frames to be
dedicated.

I use `special-display-buffer-names' for two particular buffers (*Help*,
*Completions*).  In addition, I have `special-display-regexps' set to ("[
]?[*][^*]+[*]"), so buffers named *...* are all special-display.  Their
windows/frames are always dedicated.

Maybe what you meant was not in the context of special display?  It is true that
for ordinary (non special-display) buffers I do not use dedicated
windows/frames.  (IIUC, that is different from what Stefan does.)

(Ignore if this reply isn't helpful - I'm not sure I understand what's being
discussed here.  Just trying to clarify what I do in my code.)