Re: bidi-display-reordering is now non-nil by default

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: bidi-display-reordering is now non-nil by default
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 06:07:01 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2011 21:03:14 -0400
>
> Also, while I'm here.  I re-suggest to change the default of
> bidi-paragraph-direction to left-to-right, since I think that preserves
> backward compatibility a lot better.

You never explained what backward compatibility is alluded to here.

Anyway, that suggestion was not forgotten, I just want to wait with it
a bit more, to see if any additional problems are spotted with the
dynamic paragraph direction.

> We can set it to nil in the major modes where we know it can be
> useful, such as text-mode.

What other modes will need this?

Also, do we care about the case that the user sets the default value
to nil?