Re: No sources for lisp/international/uni-*.el?

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: No sources for lisp/international/uni-*.el?
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 16:18:16 -0400

> If consider those as part of Emacs, so that the GPL applies, then the
> GPL requires inclusion of unidata-gen.el because it's a script for
> compilation, and likewise requires UnicodeData.txt because it's the
> source they are compiled from.

>From a technical point of view, AFAICT there is no reason to prefer
either state of affairs, i.e. between treating the Unicode data as
something distributed alongside Emacs vs part of Emacs.

> Here's an idea.  We could make a second tarball with admin/unidata, or
> perhaps all of admin, and say that the full Emacs sources consist of
> both together.  People who redistribute source ought to redistribute
> both, but users won't have to download both.

This would be an inconvenience to redistributors.  Simply including
admin/ in the source tarball is just an extra 4 Mb (unzipped), which
doesn't seem unreasonable.  So I prefer to go that route.