Re: No sources for lisp/international/uni-*.el?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: No sources for lisp/international/uni-*.el?
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2011 21:05:44 +0300

> Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2011 13:56:18 -0400
> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
>     This would be an inconvenience to redistributors.  Simply including
>     admin/ in the source tarball is just an extra 4 Mb (unzipped), which
>     doesn't seem unreasonable.  So I prefer to go that route.
>
> I have nothing against it.

But do we really need to distribute the Unicode database, and every
other similar data file?  These days they are freely available from
their original creators, and in fact the connectivity to those sites
is better than to the GNU sites.  Why should we need to bloat our
tarballs by these data files?  They are not software.