Re: How are etc/*.map files used?

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: How are etc/*.map files used?
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2011 16:13:49 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> The file etc/charsets/README says nothing about the intended usage of
> the *.map files in there, it just tells how to generate those files.
> Are we using these files somehow, and if so, where?

They are used to define a charset as a :map argument of
define-charset.

> I bumped into an email today that used IBM037 charset, which I
> couldn't read until I manually made a coding-system-alias for it from
> EBCDIC (which isn't quite right).  But etc/charsets/IBM037.map does
> exists, so it sounds like Emacs ought to support that encoding.

Perhaps I just forgot to define a charset from that map in
mule-conf.el.

You can define the charset and the corresponding
coding-system as this:

(define-charset 'ibm037 "IBM037"
  :code-space [0 255]
  :map "IBM037")
(define-coding-system 'ibm037 "IBM037"
  :coding-type 'charset
  :mnemonic ??         ;; You must find an appropriate mnemonic letter
  :charset-list '(ibm037))

Then, for instance:

(encode-coding-string "012abc" 'ibm037) => "\360\361\362\201\202\203"

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden