Re: bidi-display-reordering is now non-nil by default

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: bidi-display-reordering is now non-nil by default
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 09:54:18 +0200

Andreas Schwab <address@hidden> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Translated into Emacs-speak, this means we need a variable that, when
>> bound to some special value, instructs the reordering engine to treat
>> certain characters as segment separators.
>
> They already exist: comment-start and comment-end, for example.

I am having a somewhat hard time imagining it as a good thing if Emacs
displays source code that does no longer correspond to a reasonably
straightforward manner of printing the file.  reordering source into
something that "makes more sense" seems quite more invasive than mere
font-locking.

I am not fond of the idea of writing code that gets unreadable unless
you read it back with Emacs, or even a specific version of Emacs or
specific settings.

It may partly be the problem space of the language specification:
something like HTML should likely give ways of using of directional
marks as source formatting aids without affecting the content payload.

--
David Kastrup