Re: window-scroll-functions and performance

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: window-scroll-functions and performance
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 12:12:04 +0300

> From: Thierry Volpiatto <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 10:03:38 +0200
>
> This happen in emacs -Q too.
> All scrolling commands, but also next/previous-line are affected.

Please do list those scrolling commands.  I've found from bitter
experience that making assumptions here leads to wrong conclusions.

> Unfortunately i have no example file to send. My org files are quite big
> and contain personal notes and infos.

Does this happen only in large files?  Can you try in progressively
smaller fragments of those files, and see if the problem gets worse
with the size?  If size is the key factor, I'd need to know at least
the size where it becomes unbearably slow, and the approximate number
of entries at each level.  Then I could try generating a dummy Org
file with a similar structure, and see if I can reproduce the problem.

One more thing to try: leave `bidi-display-reordering' on, but set
`bidi-paragraph-direction' to `left-to-right', then tell me if the
slow-down goes away, at least partially.

> Perhaps, do you have things like
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC lisp
> ;; some lisp code here
> #+END_SRC
>
> in your org files?

No.  Does the mere presence of this even in small Org files trigger
the slow-down?  Does removing this cause the slow-down to go away?  If
yes, please show the Lisp you've got there, or at least describe
enough of it so I could recreate it here.

Thanks.