Re: bidi-display-reordering is now non-nil by default

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: bidi-display-reordering is now non-nil by default
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 12:25:38 +0300

> From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 09:07:16 +0200
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> >> From: Chong Yidong <address@hidden>
> >
> >> since there is no near-term solution, how bout turning off bidi
> >> display reordering for prog-mode buffers?
> >
> > What for?  No one complained about it yet, and leaving it on helps
> > find bugs and inefficiencies in the bidi display engine.  So my vote
> > is NAY.
>
> Sounds like the plan is to make Emacs painful to use for everyone in
> order to make it a priority for L2R users to solve R2L problems.

If L2R users don't want bidirectional support any place near them, to
the degree that they are unwilling to help make it better at the cost
of some moderate effort, please tell so now.  I will then rip out
everything I did, and will forbid the FSF to ever use that code in any
version of Emacs they distribute.  That won't make up for the 2 years
of efforts I invested in making this happen, but at least I will cut
my losses and won't have to go through the ordeal of arguing with one
David Kastrup anymore.