RE: Global bar to display global information

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Global bar to display global information
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 08:29:11 -0700

> I use the mode-line to show information like current date and
> time, jabber notifications, unread mail number, ... and I
> start Emacs in full-screen.
>
> The problem is since I use several windows (in Emacs term), these
> information are duplicated and are not always visible. Indeed, the
> mode-line bar is split in the middle of the information it displays.
>
> I think it could be really great if Emacs would provide a global bar
> based on the same mechanisms as the mode line but dedicated to this
> kind of global information.  What is your opinion ? Is this subject
> already discussed before?

+1

I sort of recall this having been suggested before; dunno...

Personally, I think it would be a good (optional) behavior to provide,
especially for the case where a user has a standalone minibuffer frame.

Using a standalone minibuffer frame already removes the duplication of multiple
minibuffer/echo area lines.  That, and having a single, stable place to look for
messages and input text, is the raison d'etre of a standalone minibuffer.

This proposed feature is along the same lines.  But this would not have as its
goal to eliminate mode lines from individual windows.  It would instead just
free up some of that individual-window mode line space that might be used for
global info (not specific to the given buffer/window).