Re: display-buffer-alist simplifications

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: display-buffer-alist simplifications
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 17:37:10 +0200

> I think that important part of design is functional decomposition
> to implement minimal building blocks that can be easily combined
> to define a buffer-displaying behavior.

That was my initial aim.

> 1. Try to reuse a window dedicated to the buffer to be displayed.

`display-buffer-reuse-window' doesn't check for dedicated windows yet.
This would have to be done manually first, passing the window in the
second argument.

> 2. Try to reuse a window at the bottom with the width of the selected frame.

Non-trivial.  That may be the only, the selected, a dedicated, or in
some other sense important window.  I don't yet know how to handle this
case satisfactorily.

>    Alternatively, provide a parameter for the ALIST to skip this step.
>    Also provide a parameter to resize the reused window.

So far we only even the size of a reused window.

> 3. Otherwise, taking into account min-height try to create a new window
>    with the specified height at the bottom of the selected frame.

Calling `display-buffer-pop-up-window' with root and below as only
choices, passing min-height and the specified height as arguments.

> 4. Otherwise, reuse any available window on the selected frame.
>    Provide a parameter to define the order of different methods:
>    largest, lru, rightmost, etc.

`display-buffer-reuse-window' doesn't recognize these methods yet.  We
would either have to get them manually and pass the windows directly or
expand the semantics of the second argument.

> 5. Alternatively, with preference of using frames, try to find
>    a dedicated frame.  Otherwise, create a new frame with
>    specified parameters.

Calling `display-buffer-reuse-window' manually sorting out a suitable
frame and calling `display-buffer-pop-up-frame' otherwise.

martin