Re: Global bar to display global information

From: chad
Subject: Re: Global bar to display global information
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 12:46:35 -0700

On Aug 16, 2011, at 12:23 PM, Jérémy Compostella wrote:

I'm currently using Emacs 23. And I really think it looks inconsistent
about some features. What does the display-time feature means ?
[…] I just want to be able to see the date and time at
the same place every time I need.

For the vast majority of users, emacs is not their operating system, and
such non-editing facilities don't need to be provided by their editor.  For
those who do use emacs as (a larger part of) their operating system,
they typically want very specific things, and know how to assemble those
things from the (many) parts emacs provides.  For example, Ted Zlanatov
was pushing forward an effort in this area:

For some(including you), the header-line provides an easy way to meet
your goals, but others, like Drew Adams, live in a very multi-frame world,
and need different tools.

There is interest in this area, especially if you're willing to work on the
leading edge.  Perhaps you should try either header-line-format or Ted's
`Emacs as a Desktop Environment' idea and report back your experience
with either/both.

Hope that helps,
*Chad