Re: more on starttls, gnutls-cli and using tls for mail

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: more on starttls, gnutls-cli and using tls for mail
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 12:11:14 +0900

Tim Cross writes:

 > Thanks Karl. It seems there are use cases for using different
 > authenticated users based on the from/reply address being used.
 > However, it should be noted that this is not due to any requirement
 > or limitation of smtp

Lack of a standard authentication method *is* the limitation of
email-as-we-know-it.  As Chad points out, there are various standards
available, but SMTP itself knows about none of them, and therefore
none are reliably available.

There is a fundamental requirement of email-as-we-know-it, that it be
a way for any dog on the Internet to get in touch with you.  (This is
why Karl and Chad have so many addresses: "address@hidden" means
nothing to most latent correspondents, while "address@hidden"
does, to some fraction that Karl cares about.)  On the other hand, the
fact that among the dogs is Dogbert (aka Canter/Seigel et al, not to
mention even less lovable folk such as stalkers) means that private
mailboxes are widely desired.

Lack of a standard authentication method *at the receiving end* means
that there's no single way to identify mail from expected senders at
your *private* mailbox.  Lack of a standard authentication method *at
the sending end* means there's no way to guarantee you'll be
recognized by the recipient's private mailbox.  So there's no way to
implement reliable private mailboxes.  Not even security-via-obscurity
works because your ISP may filter, *must filter*, based on something
other than sender credentials.

It should be obvious that users will evolve complex, *idiosyncratic*
methods to deal with this complex environment, as recipients and
senders implement a variety of partially coordinated solutions to the
problem of protecting mailbox privacy where desired.

I don't know whether this means that smtp-auth-credentials is needed
to implement such methods (presumably not, Are We Not Hackers?), but
I'm a bit surprised that a project sufficiently conservative about
email that RMail is its default MUA didn't follow the usual process of
obsolete'ing the variable before, uh, jerking the rug out from under
people's .emacs'es.