Re: display-buffer-alist simplifications

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: display-buffer-alist simplifications
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 08:57:59 +0200

>> So far we only even the size of a reused window.
>
> Adjusting the size is also necessary with `fit-window-to-buffer'
> (optionally) like in `dired-pop-to-buffer'.

Indeed.  ISTR that I readjusted the height of such windows when quitting
them but this somehow doesn't work any more.  Hmmmm ...

>>> 3. Otherwise, taking into account min-height try to create a new window
>>>    with the specified height at the bottom of the selected frame.
>> Calling `display-buffer-pop-up-window' with root and below as only
>> choices, passing min-height and the specified height as arguments.
>
> In `dired-pop-to-buffer', `min-height' is specified as an argument
> of `fit-window-to-buffer'.  It would be good instead of
>
>   (fit-window-to-buffer (display-buffer-pop-up-window " *Marked Files*"
>                          '((root . below)))
>    nil 1)
>
> to specify that as
>
>   (display-buffer-pop-up-window " *Marked Files*"
>    '((root . below) (min-height . 1) (fit-to-buffer . t)))

min-height 1 might not be very useful here if the subsequent
`fit-to-buffer' fails.  In any case, `dired-pop-to-buffer' must deal
with the fact that no window can be popped up.

> This could avoid calling `fit-window-to-buffer' directly, because
> `display-buffer-pop-up-window' could interpret the parameter
> `fit-to-buffer' as an indication to calculate the height of the created
> window from the number of lines in the buffer to be displayed.

So why not make this the value of min-height?

>>> 4. Otherwise, reuse any available window on the selected frame.
>>>    Provide a parameter to define the order of different methods:
>>>    largest, lru, rightmost, etc.
>> `display-buffer-reuse-window' doesn't recognize these methods yet.  We
>> would either have to get them manually and pass the windows directly or
>> expand the semantics of the second argument.
>
> They could share the same semantics to find the window to reuse/split.

This can be done.  BTW in your example above (root . below) is not a
valid alist entry since below is not the value of the key root.  We need
something like (window . root) (side . below) instead.

martin