Re: Multiple SMTP accounts with smtpmail.el

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: Multiple SMTP accounts with smtpmail.el
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 10:20:59 -0400

>I think it would be nice to find an auth-source based solution for the
>multiple-account smtpmail case.  Which shouldn't be difficult, I think.
>How about just adding a `smtpmail-user' variable, that when bound or set
>would make smtpmail.el feed that user name to auth-source, and then get
>the correct credentials?

I'm not expert enough in Emacs's smtp authn system to fully understand
this proposal -- I don't know exactly what "auth-source" means here.  It
sounds like you mean something very specific by it?  (If the variable is
`smtpmail-user', then what variable(s) hold server/port/password
information?)

Overall, I'm just saying:

There should be a purely in-elisp way to pass smtp authentication data
when sending email.  There should be no need to create or modify a file
on disk containing authentication data (although such a file could
certainly be an option, since it might be easier for some users).

We used to have an entirely in-elisp way, but then it got removed.  If
the same way came back, that would be fine; if a different way were
implemented, that would also be fine.  As long as the NEWS file
describes the situation accurately, people will eventually recover.

I have a mild preference for the old way (`smtpmail-auth-credentials')
just because it's familiar, but the emphasis is on "mild".

-Karl