Re: bidi-display-reordering is now non-nil by default

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: bidi-display-reordering is now non-nil by default
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 15:29:47 -0400

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> Obviously, there is a trade-off: exploiting font-lock means more
>> "magically correct" segmenting; using a hack (like marking chars
>> special) means less dependence on the font-lock machinery.  I don't
>> think the latter is worth it.
>
> The problem is not jit-lock-defer-time but the fact that font-lock may
> be turned off.  We could do it in syntax-propertize, of course, but it's
> not great either (e.g. syntax-propertize is applied to all the text
> before window-start whether that text will ever be displayed or not).

I don't think we have to be concerned with the set of users who (i) wish
to turn off font-lock and (ii) edit source code with RTL characters and
(iii) expect those RTL segments to be automagically segmented according
to the programming language syntax.  Relax any one of those assumptions
and things are fine.