Re: Slow/poor responsiveness in org files

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: Slow/poor responsiveness in org files
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2011 09:42:20 +1000

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 9:53 PM, Antoine Levitt
<address@hidden> wrote:
> 18/08/11 09:49, Bastien
>> Hi Tim,
>>
>> Tim Cross <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> About a week or so ago, I updated emacs from bzr and saw that org 7.7
>>> had been merged in. Since then, I have also noticed a distinct delay
>>> when performing various editing operations within org files. For
>>> example, killing a line wiht C-k in an org mode buffer is taking about
>>> 4 seconds!
>>
>> This might come either from Org and/or from Emacs.
>>
>>> I updated emacs and tried again with emacs -Q and got the same result
>>>
>>> My version is 24.0.50 bzr relno 105475
>>>
>>> Has anyone else seen this?
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>>> What would be the best way to debug this sort of issue, emacs
>>> profiler?
>>
>> Four tests would be useful:
>>
>> - Emacs 23 + Org 7.4
>> - Emacs 23 + Org 7.7
>> - Emacs 24 (from trunk) + Org 7.4
>> - Emacs 24 (from trunk) + Org 7.7
>>
>> For each case, M-x elp-instrument-package RET org-mode RET to
>> see if there is any particular function that takes significantly
>> more time.
>>
>> I'm busy fixing small bugs in Org 7.7 but fixing such slowniness
>> is high priority and such tests would really help me *a lot*.
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>
> Also try setting bidi-display-reordering to nil and see if that changes
> anything.

OK, will do.

As Bastien indicates this is a known problem, I will assume there is
an existing bug report and won't create a new one. I will post my
results back here. Given the combinations to test, this will take some
work and some time.

One question I do have, how do I run emacs bzr trunk with org 7.4? Is
it sufficient to just ensure some 7.4 load directory is  first in the
load path? Also, what is the url to get 7.4?

Tim