Re: bidi-display-reordering is now non-nil by default

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: bidi-display-reordering is now non-nil by default
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2011 10:39:54 +0300

> From: Chong Yidong <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
> Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 15:43:38 -0400
>
>    '((bidi-foo blahblah) (space :width 3.0))
>
> to avoid clobbering the pre-existing space display spec.
>
> Obviously it is possible to do this, but it is just way cleaner and more
> user-friendly to use a separate property for this purpose.

If that's what you meant by "merging", then I simply misunderstood,
sorry.

However, handle_display_spec already handles such Lisp data structures
in display properties, so it's quite possible only minimum or no
changes will be needed to support this.  The only inconvenience is for
the Lisp code that would need to be more complicated when it puts
these properties.

Having a separate property has a disadvantage of being more expensive,
so unless someone implements a way of searching for a specified set of
properties, not just one or any one, I would prefer not to do that.
Especially since the plausibility of having other display properties
on the R2L segments is quite low, IMO.