Re: Global bar to display global information

From: Jérémy Compostella
Subject: Re: Global bar to display global information
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2011 15:20:08 +0200

Nicolas Martyanoff <address@hidden> writes:

> martin rudalics <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> I have no idea about the complexity about adding this feature; there's
>>> already a mini-buffer window which behaves in some aspects like a status
>>> bar (split-independant width, fixed position, no mode line), so I
>>> believe it would be possible to add a status bar just under (or above)
>>> the minibuffer without modifying a ton of code.
>>>
>>> Would someone know if it's possible to do it in emacs lisp, without
>>> modifying the C code ? It would make developement much easier.
>>
>> With current trunk you can try (experimentally)
>>
>> (display-buffer
>>  (get-buffer-create "foo")
>>  '((use-side-window bottom 0) (pop-up-window-set-height . 1)))
>>
>> How you update the contents of foo is obviously entirely left to you.
>
> I played a bit using your code and got encouraging results; I'll see
> what I can do in the next days, and post on emacs-devel if I make
> something useful.

I made some tries on my side. The above three lines of code provides an
interesting result. However, I have one important issue : when using the
minibuffer with more than one line, the "foo" buffer size is increased
and never come back to its original one line size.

Do you get interesting result on your side ?

Jérémy