Re: Slow/poor responsiveness in org files

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: Slow/poor responsiveness in org files
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 16:42:56 +1000

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 3:55 PM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 10:52:49 +1000
>> From: Tim Cross <address@hidden>
>> Cc: address@hidden
>>
>> SOLVED!
>>
>> Adding the line
>>
>> (setq bidi-display-reordering nil)
>>
>> to my org-mode-hook has fixed the problem. Cursor movement and editing
>> operations are now usable and the delays are gone.
>
> Please don't consider this a solution.  bidi-display-reordering should
> not slow down redisplay to a degree that makes Emacs unusable.  And
> setting bidi-display-reordering to nil means that R2L scripts cannot
> be used in Org buffers, which is clearly unacceptable.
>
> If you can send me the offending file, that would be the best.
> Failing that, please answer the following questions:

Sorry, I cannot send the offending file as it contains sensitive information.

>  . How large is the Org file, in bytes?

-rw-r--r-- 1 tcross tcross 612856 2011-08-22 12:51 urs.org

>  . How many entries do you have in it, including distribution between
>   levels (i.e., how many entries of 2nd level do you have, on
>   average, per each 1st-level entry, how many 3rd-level entries per
>   each 2nd-level entry, etc.)?

20 leve 1 headings
Average about 6 - 10 level 2 headings in each, though there are 3
sections which contain over 50 level 2 items and a Tasks section which
has 120 TODO items (106 marked as done).

I have very few level 3 headings as I rarely get that deep. One of the
level 1 sections contains over 60 level 2 items which are include
either a timestamp or are just a timestamp.

>  . Is the slowdown the same at the beginning of the file, the end of
>   the file, and in the middle?

Yes, it appears to be

>  . Which commands exhibit the slowdown?  Are C-f/C-b slow?  How about
>   left and right arrows?  C-v/M-v? Up/down arrows?

It appears to affect all commands. Even typing is sluggish (I can get
'in front' of what is being displayed when typing quickly). Kill and
yank commands seem to be the worst, but all movement commands appear
to be affected to some degree. I get the impression the larger the
text being acted upon, the greater the slowdown.

>  . Does the slowdown go away after "M-x show-all RET"?

Yes it appears to.

>  . Do you have any minor modes, in addition to Org mode, turned on in
>   those buffers, and if so, which ones?  Please include any sub-modes
>   of Org in the list.

Normally I do. However, the first thing I tested was to run emacs -Q
and just start by opening the org file, so only org-mode and no other
minor modes were loaded. Problem still existed.

>  . Does setting bidi-paragraph-direction to `left-to-right' eliminate
>   the slowdown?

It does appear to remove the slowdown

> With this info, I can try reproducing the problem and looking for a
> proper solution.

I will try and 'clean' my org file so that all sensitive info is
removed. If after that, the problem still exists, I will send it.

Tim