Re: Slow/poor responsiveness in org files

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Slow/poor responsiveness in org files
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 10:03:53 +0300

> Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 16:42:56 +1000
> From: Tim Cross <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> >  . How large is the Org file, in bytes?
>
> -rw-r--r-- 1 tcross tcross 612856 2011-08-22 12:51 urs.org

Strange.  I have a 3MB Org file, and I see no such terrible problems
there.  What is the speed of your CPU clock?  I have a 6-year old
single-core Pentium 4 CPU here which runs at 3GHz.

> there are 3 sections which contain over 50 level 2 items and a Tasks
> section which has 120 TODO items (106 marked as done).

Is cursor motion in those 3 sections slower than in the other ones?

> >  . Which commands exhibit the slowdown?  Are C-f/C-b slow?  How about
> >   left and right arrows?  C-v/M-v? Up/down arrows?
> >

> It appears to affect all commands. Even typing is sluggish (I can get
> 'in front' of what is being displayed when typing quickly).

Is there any difference between C-f and right-arrow?  If setting
bidi-paragraph-direction to a non-nil value helps, there ought to be a
difference between these two.

> I will try and 'clean' my org file so that all sensitive info is
> removed. If after that, the problem still exists, I will send it.

Thanks.