Re: bidi-display-reordering is now non-nil by default

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: bidi-display-reordering is now non-nil by default
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 15:35:24 -0400

>> files in the directory end in R2L characters.  Since we cover the TAB
>> with a `(display (space :align-to ...))' property, which makes it a
>> ``replacing'' display property, the underlying TAB loses its
>> bidirectional properties and is reordered as if it were a neutral
>> character.  So instead of

I guess this brings us back to "a way to mark some char as a field
separator, just like a TAB; and in this particular case it clearly would
be fine to do it via a `display' property.

Some might even argue that a (space :align-to ...) display property is
sufficiently similar to a TAB that such a property should be interpreted
similarly to a field separator by the bidi reordering code.

>> If this patch is okay,

Assuming it's not straightforward to change the C code to handle such
display properties (not simple enough for 24.1, or maybe we're not sure
it's actually a good idea to do it), then your patch looks like an
OK solution.

>> can you tell whether other completion facilities in Emacs might need
>> similar changes?

I'd tend to think that most/all other completion facilities should be
fixed by using the generic code rather than by fixing their code, so
they shouldn't need similar changes.

        Stefan