Re: bidi-display-reordering is now non-nil by default

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: bidi-display-reordering is now non-nil by default
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 11:40:04 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 15:37:30 -0400
>
> >> +                (put-text-property (point)
> >> +                             (progn
> >> +                               (insert (bidi-string-mark-left-to-right
> >> str))
> >> +                               (point))
> >> 'mouse-face 'highlight)
>
> The mouse-face property is used to delimit the text, but the above code
> ends up marking not just STR but STR+LRM, which is not desirable
> (e.g. choose-completion will end up choosing STR+LRM rather than jus STR).

I couldn't imagine the mouse-face is used for anything besides the
highlight.  Sounds like a kludge to me.

Anyway, if we will go the bidi-string-mark-left-to-right route, it
would be easy to fix this minor problem by putting the mouse-face on
the string before running it through bidi-string-mark-left-to-right.