Re: bidi reordering in program source buffers

From: Ehud Karni
Subject: Re: bidi reordering in program source buffers
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 23:01:38 +0300

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 20:28:30 Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> So in your opinion, buffers that display source code should not be
> reordered, not even the strings and comments they display?  IOW, we
> should give up showing human-readable portions of those buffers in a
> legible display form?  That's a bit harsh, no?

Yes, not even in comments or strings, see more below.

> > I think a (global) function that toggles the bidi reordering
> > ONLY for the local buffer should ease the work of Emacs users.
>
> Can you elaborate why this is needed?
>
> In any case, the function should simply toggle the value of
> bidi-display-reordering, as it's per-buffer variable.  But I rather
> think Emacs should set this variable correctly without user
> intervention.

I meant a command like `toggle-truncate-lines' or `toggle-word-wrap'.
Then the user can assign it to a key, so she can easily change from
logical to bidi ordered. In this way she can easily edit the R2L text
when she needs, but with one keystroke see the logic of the program
even if the R2L text is harder to read.

On second thought, may be the command should change the input method
too ?

Ehud.

--
 Ehud Karni           Tel: +972-3-7966-561  /"\
 Mivtach - Simon      Fax: +972-3-7976-561  \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign