Re: Is it possible to have 256 colors in Emacs on framebuffer-enabled tt

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: Is it possible to have 256 colors in Emacs on framebuffer-enabled tty
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 23:01:25 +0100

On 29/08/11 10:06, zwz wrote:

I made some mistake. The problem "tput color ->  256; Emacs ->  256 but in
fact 8" only happens when I set TERM=xterm-256color, which is not the
case since I am actually using fbterm.

That was unlikely to work anyway, as the fbterm guys have apparenrtly chosen to use quite different escapes to xterm for 256 colors. I understand that they were seeking to retain compat with linux kernel vt, and the linux vt was already using that escape (for something fairly unimportant IIRC*), but since they are _not_ the linux vts and they _are_ a different terminal anyway, IMO they would have been better off using the same escapes as xterm (and everyone else) for 256 colors and just moving the linux vt one somewhere, but anyway. At the same time, they're probably "in the right" insofar as apps properly using terminfo should be able to cope with both.

Emacs probably should be querying more from terminfo and hardcoding less (yeah yeah, "patches welcome", I know). In any case, right now, we probably do need a lisp/term/fbterm.el, and unfortunately it probably can't completely reuse the xterm.el code, unlike screen.el

* I remember looking at feasibility of a linux kernel patch for native 256-color vts on framebuffers years ago but my attention rapidly wandered...