Re: Killing a frame sometimes kills emacs

From: joakim
Subject: Re: Killing a frame sometimes kills emacs
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 22:51:45 +0200

Tassilo Horn <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> since lately, I have a really annoying problem with the current emacs
> trunk.  My current emacs is about 4 days old, but I've hit that problem
> already when I came back from holiday three weeks ago.
>
> The problem is that frequently, killing an emacs X11 frame kills the
> complete emacs instance.  It doesn't crash or so, but it's just like if
> I had called `kill-emacs'.
>
> The usual steps are:
>
>   1. Start emacs (the server is activated from my .emacs)
>   2. Work for several hours without issues
>   3. emacsclient -c [maybe-a-file.txt]
>   4. kill the client frame with C-x 5 0, C-x #, or the X knob at the
>      window decoration ==> BANG! Emacs is gone...
>
> My problem is that I'm totally unable to reproduce the issue.  I've just
> tried to activate and use all packages/modes I usually work with (Gnus,
> Org, SLIME/Clojure, Elisp, AUCTeX, rcirc) step by step, but still
> creating and killing frames works as it's supposed to do.
>
> Do you have any suggestions on how to debug this issue?
>
> Bye,
> Tassilo

Not much help, but I use the below bash script to run Emacs.
That way I can get a backtrace most of the time which helps.

(I'm also suffering from some weirdo heisenbug. Lately it has been
something involving overlays and pop_it at xdisp.c:5492. It might be
something local though)

#!/bin/sh
#cd to src dir to load emacs gdb macros
cd ~/build_myprojs/emacsnew/emacs.bzr/xwidget/src/
xterm -e gdb -ex run  emacs

--
Joakim Verona