Re: Killing a frame sometimes kills emacs

From: Ken Raeburn
Subject: Re: Killing a frame sometimes kills emacs
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2011 15:30:38 -0400

On Sep 1, 2011, at 11:29, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2011 14:47:09 +0200
>> From: "Jan D." <address@hidden>
>> CC: Andreas Schwab <address@hidden>, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>,
>> address@hidden
>>
>> From Emacs point of view, localhost:0 and unix:0 and :0 are three
>> different displays, even if they physically are the same.
>
> Can't we do something in Emacs so it understood that they are on the
> same display?  That won't fix the GTK problem, but at least it will
> work around it in this particular use case.  And I think it's a Good
> Thing in general, no?

If that's the intent of the X code... I've actually seen cases where the
hostname "unix" gets looked up, so maybe the rule is "unix means the local host
if you don't have a machine named unix".  I'm not sure if that was X11 software
or something else trying to interpret $DISPLAY, though; I was looking at DNS
packet traces.

In this case, ":0.0" vs ":0" is even more straightforward.  According to the X
man page I just looked up, at least, the default screen number is zero if
omitted (not some changeable per-display default screen number), so counting
those two as the same should be easy.

Ken