Re: pop-to-buffer-same-window

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: pop-to-buffer-same-window
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2011 22:43:27 -0400

> Was there any particular reason for adding a separate
> pop-to-buffer-same-window function, as opposed to adding an additional
> meaning to pop-to-buffer's OTHER-WINDOW argument, i.e.

>   (pop-to-buffer buffer 'same-window)

I think the reason was so as to avoid adding some special handling for
a new special value `same-window'.  This second argument should be
a RULE (previously known as ACTION) and the special-case of
`not-this-window' is annoying enough.

This said, with the new switch-to-buffer's FORCE-SAME-WINDOW, we don't
need pop-to-buffer-same-window since switch-to-buffer works just as well.

        Stefan