Re: A few Windows build fixes

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: A few Windows build fixes
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2011 21:26:46 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
> Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2011 14:04:01 -0400
>
> > Yes, we do: on the lowest possible level that Emacs handles file names
> > before it passes them to system APIs.  I pointed out the relevant
> > function in w32.c where that happens.  If you transform all file names
> > there, every single feature of Emacs will work as expected by users.
>
> You're talking about adding support for cygwin file names at the very
> lowest level?

I'm saying that this is the only way to have reliable support for
Cygwin file names (as opposed to something that only "mostly" works).

> We'd want it to have zero impact to the users who don't use cygwin
> (and may not even have it installed), of course.

They will never see such file names.

> Also, once cygwin file names are supported, I think people will expect
> more integration of (native) Emacs and cygwin, e.g. in subprocesses.

What problems are there with Cygwin subprocesses?  Emacs already
recognizes Cygwin executables and adapts itself, at least to some
extent (quoting of command-line arguments).