Custom themes: only loading a subset of faces

From: Edward O'Connor
Subject: Custom themes: only loading a subset of faces
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 11:02:11 -0700

Hi,

After loading my Emacs-23-compatible Custom theme in a nightly build of
Emacs 24, I launched ERC & found that Emacs wasn't using the ERC faces
that are customized in my theme. Other faces look just fine.

Calling `customize-face' on one of the ERC faces, I found it in "State:
STANDARD" and not "State: THEMED". Weird.

To work around this, I had to change from loading the theme like this:
                        (load-theme 'foo t)
to loading it like this:
                        (load "foo-theme")
                        (enable-theme 'foo)

Why? What can I change in my theme to make `load-theme' load all of the
faces, and not (apparently) some random subset of them? Here's the theme
in question:

         http://edward.oconnor.cx/config/elisp/hober2-theme.el

Thanks,
Ted