Re: A few Windows build fixes

From: Hannu Koivisto
Subject: Re: A few Windows build fixes
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2011 11:33:04 +0300

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
>> Also, once cygwin file names are supported, I think people will expect
>> more integration of (native) Emacs and cygwin, e.g. in subprocesses.
>
> What problems are there with Cygwin subprocesses?  Emacs already
> recognizes Cygwin executables and adapts itself, at least to some
> extent (quoting of command-line arguments).

One problem is Cygwin dll's automatic globbing of command line
arguments (which is done when a non-Cygwin application runs a
Cygwin application) and that might be one thing that could be
handled if better integration is wanted.  I faced this problem with
an Emacs git interface package that in my system would run Cygwin
git directly (not via shell) with a parameter like "foo^{commit}"
and due to the automatic globbing git actually saw "foo^commit" and
there was an error.  It took some head scratching to figure out
what was going on :)  Fortunately that (mis)feature can be forced
off using the CYGWIN environment variable (see
http://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygwinenv.html,
(no)glob), so I was able to add a workaround to this package.

--
Hannu