Re: A few Windows build fixes

From: Hannu Koivisto
Subject: Re: A few Windows build fixes
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2011 12:06:27 +0300

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Hannu Koivisto <address@hidden>
>> Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2011 11:33:04 +0300
>>
>> One problem is Cygwin dll's automatic globbing of command line
>> arguments (which is done when a non-Cygwin application runs a
>> Cygwin application) and that might be one thing that could be
>> handled if better integration is wanted.
>
> Sorry, I don't understand.  On Posix platforms, globbing is something
> done by the shell, not by the application.

Right.  And this is something some Emacs packages (such as the git
interface I was talking about) rely on.

> Since Cygwin emulates Posix, I would expect its applications not
> to glob on their own.

They don't when you run them from a Cygwin shell or any other
Cygwin application.  They (well, not the applications as such but
the cygwin dll linked to them) do when you run them from a native
Windows application.

Apparently the idea is that a person using cmd.exe, for example,
can say "ls foo*" and have it work in an "expected" way.
Unfortunately this feature is not limited to cmd.exe (even though
some documentation suggests so).

> Are you saying that sometimes Cygwin applications do glob in
> their startup code, like native Windows apps?  (That's what I
> understand from the URL you mentioned.)

Yes.

--
Hannu