Re: mail-add-attachment

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: mail-add-attachment
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2011 21:40:47 -0400

>>> I thought about this, but isn't it too late to introduce incompatible
>>> changes on the user level?  This command is there by that name since
>>> 1997.  I would at most go with a new name and an alias that is
>>> deprecated.
>> Of course we'd keep an osolete alias.  But since we're making changes
>> anyway, I'd rather add that extra change to your patch.
> You want to rename the command that adds an attachment to
> `mail-insert-file'?  Ok...  fine by me...

That's the thing: that command does not add an attachment, it's an old
non-MIME command that inserts the content of a text file into the email
text (with surrounding textual marks).  It was a poor man's
"attachment", but nowadays noone would be fooled into thinking that this
is an attachment.

        Stefan