RE: `isearch-allow-scroll' - a misnomer and a bad design

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: `isearch-allow-scroll' - a misnomer and a bad design
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2011 09:44:11 -0700

> > We all agree that the fact that C-u got folded into it is definitely
> > a misfeature in this respect.
>
> I do not agree with this.  ;-)  The prefix arg is an essential part of
> the command with which one might exit isearch.

I think what Stefan meant here - at least what I would say, is what you already
agreed to:

d>> 2. I would like to see us separate the treatment of a prefix
d>>    arg - whether it gets passed it through to a command or it
d>>    exits Isearch - from the other uses/effects of this option.
a>
a> I agree, that would be a good idea.  It wouldn't take very much work.

IOW, IIUC, you, Stefan, and I have already agreed that passing `C-u' through
would be a good idea, independently of `isearch-allow-scroll' and "scrolling"
commands.

The fact that scrolling commands might always need to _also_ enjoy `C-u'
pass-through is a different matter.  That seems to be what you're saying here.
But that wasn't the point.  The point was that all commands should enjoy the
same `C-u' pass-through privilege - which I believe you've already agreed to.

> > But you still only have one boolean value to control what
> > commands to pass through.
>
> This isn't quite true either.  The current isearch-scroll
> property must be t (not merely non-nil) at the moment.  This
> leaves other non-nil values to specify other behaviour.  This
> was deliberate.

Well, OK.  Today it's a Boolean.  Tomorrow it could let you specify more.

That was one of my points: let's let it let you specify just which commands (or
categories of commands) Isearch should pass through.