Re: display-buffer-overriding-action

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: display-buffer-overriding-action
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 22:39:55 -0400

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> No, the override-action is so the user can dynamically override even
> his own settings.  E.g. C-x 5 b should override a user's own settings
> of "same-window" for that buffer (after all, that's why he used C-x 5
> b rather than C-x b).
>
> So it's meant to be let-bound or set temporarily (the "set
> temporarily" is for the case where we implement a new (prefix) command
> to bind to keys like C-x 5 or C-x 4).

This is not very clear.  By "his own settings", do you mean the settings
in `display-buffer-alist' or `display-buffer-default-action'?  The
former is not a problem: C-x 5 b passes an ACTION argument to
pop-to-buffer, which takes precedence over d-b-alist.

If the former, how is d-b-overriding-action supposed to know which way
to override d-b-alist?  The display-buffer action functions aren't told
what the original arguments to display-buffer were, so it can't know
whether display-buffer was called for `C-x 5 b' or `C-x 4 b', or another
command entirely.

What would help would be a concrete example with a specific tweak that
you envision the user doing with d-b-alist, and how
d-b-overriding-action is supposed to override that.