Re: Slow/poor responsiveness in org files

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Slow/poor responsiveness in org files
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 01:51:41 -0400

> Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 00:36:25 -0400
> From: Mathieu Boespflug <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> > I will propose to Org mode developers a change to set
> > bidi-paragraph-direction automatically on all Org buffers.
>
> Ok. Thank you for looking into this. However, does this mean it won't be
> possible to have R2L text in Org buffers?

No, it doesn't mean that.  It just means the display will start at the
left window boundary, even if the item includes R2L text.  To
illustrate, you will see

* foo
* bar
* OOF
* RAB

(where "OOF" and "RAB" are R2L text typed as "FOO" and "BAR",
reordered into correct visual order), rather than

* foo
* bar
                                                                    OOF *
                                                                    RAB *

with the default (nil) setting of bidi-paragraph-direction.  I think
the latter is ugly anyway.

The variable that controls reordering is bidi-display-reordering, and
it must stay non-nil if we want to support R2L text.

The Emacs manual and the ELisp manual have more information about the
meaning of bidi-paragraph-direction, if you want to learn more.