Re: Uhm... weird frame behaviour

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Uhm... weird frame behaviour
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 14:00:19 +0200

> Firstly, the function window-deletable-p should only look at frames on
> the current terminal.

How would it do this?  Via `next-frame'?  Can someone check whether this
DTRT for the daemon frame?

> Emacs should never automatically delete the last
> frame on a terminal; that is obnoxious.  So other-visible-frames-p needs
> to be changed to handle this.  (Not sure why that function is in C, btw;
> it could be written in Lisp.)

Without doing FRAME_SAMPLE_VISIBILITY?  I have no idea how to do that so
I'd be grateful if someone wrote such a function.  I'm somewhat lost
with daemons and terminals.

> Secondly, the current code is too aggressive in deciding that a frame
> can be deleted.  Consider the following sequence:
>
> C-h k RET
> C-x o     => switch to the *Help* window
> C-x 5 2   => pop to a new frame displaying *Help*
> q         => the frame is deleted
>
> I don't think this is quite right.  The new frame was not created as a
> "temporary frame" for displaying the *Help* window, but by the user's
> explicit `C-x 5 2' command.  It just so happened that a special-mode
> buffer was current at the time.  In this situation, quit-window should
> not delete the frame.

Then I'll revert to the previous behavior which kills the frame even if it
has some buffer it could show instead.

martin