Re: Slow/poor responsiveness in org files

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Slow/poor responsiveness in org files
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 22:55:03 +0300

> From: Bruno Tavernier <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 20:00:43 +0200
>
> What I notice however, is that if I unfold all the headlines displayed
> on the screen, the navigation is perfectly normal.
>
> The cursor movement only stutter when the headlines are folded (whatever
> the headline level).

That is hardly surprising, if you consider what Emacs needs to do when
large portions of the buffer are not shown: it needs to find the next
visible line by scanning all the invisible ones in between.  So the
more text is folded, the slower will be the display.

> Finally, I tried `outline-next-visible-heading' and it turns out to works
> like a charm.

Because it doesn't try to preserve the column and support continued
lines the way next-line and previous-line do.  It simply goes to the
next heading by regexp, then checks if that heading is visible, and if
not continues to the next one.