Re: Slow/poor responsiveness in org files

From: Bruno Tavernier
Subject: Re: Slow/poor responsiveness in org files
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 20:00:43 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Bruno Tavernier <address@hidden>
>> Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 18:55:10 +0200
>>
>> > I believed I tracked at least one customization that causes a very
>> > noticeable slowdown: global-hl-line-mode. On the org file linked
>> > above, navigation is slow even with all trees folded with this minor
>> > mode enabled.
>>
>> +1 to Mathieu's observation
>>
>> After checking for the effect of several customizations,
>> `global-hl-line-mode' is the customization that impact most the
>> navigation in large org file.
>
> Do you also see, like I do, that with `global-hl-line-mode' turned on,
> navigation backwards is considerably faster than forward?  E.g., try
> C-p and C-n.

Nope. C-p and C-n appears to be equally fast.

What I notice however, is that if I unfold all the headlines displayed
on the screen, the navigation is perfectly normal.

The cursor movement only stutter when the headlines are folded (whatever
the headline level).

Finally, I tried `outline-next-visible-heading' and it turns out to works like
a charm.

Hope that helps

--
Bruno