Re: `isearch-allow-scroll' - a misnomer and a bad design

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: `isearch-allow-scroll' - a misnomer and a bad design
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 11:16:53 -0400

    > However, when a control character is special in Isearch and you don't
    > know it, it will bite you.  You will type it while in an Isearch,
    > expecting it to have its usual meaning, and it will do something else
    > instead.

    Do you think the usual meaning of C-u is ``exit the modal thing I'm
    doing now''?

Please don't attack straw men.  Emacs normally doesn't even have such
"modal things" anyway.  What it normally has is major modes that are
specified in a buffer.

It is not good that we are turning Isearch into something of that
nature by adding so many commands that are special in it.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation